County Clerk Services
The Mercer County Clerk is Verlin T. Moye. Each county elects a county clerk whose responsibilities include the management of records of the county commission and election duties. The primary responsibilities center around two basic functions:
- To act as clerk (fiscal officer) of the county commission
- To act as the receiver of fees charged for the instruments filed and recorded within the county.
Mercer County Clerk Services Information
All Documents recorded in the office of the Mercer County Clerk must be ORlGINAL and NOTARIZED.
We cannot record a copy. We have a 1 ½ inch margin requirement at the TOP of the first page of all documents.
We do not record any documents after 4:00.
We accept Cash, Money Orders, or Checks. Credit or debit cards are not accepted at this time.
- $26.00 (Up to 5 pages) if there is no consideration on the Deed
- $26.00 & $20.00 (Affordable Housing Trust Fund) ($36.00) if there is Consideration.
- Transfer Fee on the Consideration is $5.50 per $1,000.00.
Deeds must have the name and address who prepared it, a consideration clause, and the description of the property (Exhibit or Schedule A).
A Sales Listing Form must be filed with a Deed in order to transfer the taxes from the old owner to the new owner.
The form can be obtained and filled out in the office if one is not attached to the Deed by the attorney.
Vital Record Copy Fees
- $1.50 for the first 2 pages and $1.00 for each additional page.
- Certified copies: $6.00 and up
- Authenticated copies: $9.00 and up
- Justification of Surety: $5.00 each
- Birth, Death, Marriage: $5.00 each
To obtain a Business License inside the Princeton city limits, call the City Hall at 304-487-5020.
To obtain a Business License outside the city limits, call the State Tax Dept. at 1-800-982-8297 or go to www.business4wv.com to download forms.
Minister’s Marriage Applications
To perform Marriages in West Virginia, you have to apply at the Secretary of State’s Office 304-558-8000 or www.wvsos.com.
To apply for a Marriage License, go to Voter’s Registration on the bottom floor of the Court House.
West Virginia residents can apply in any county in the state. Out of state residents can apply also in any county, but the license has to be used in West Virginia.
Applicants need a driver’s license, birth certificate, or a form of ID.
If you have been married before, you will need a copy of your Divorce paper. The fee for a Marriage License if $36.00 if you have had Marriage Counseling. You must have a letter from the Minister or Counselor to receive the discount. If you have not had Marriage Counseling, the fee is $56.00.
- Phone: 304-487-8312
- Fax: 304-487-9842
Record Room (Vital Records):
- Phone: 304-487-8313
- Fax: 304-431-8509
- Phone: 304-487-8321 or 304-487-8447
- Phone: 304-487-8338 or 304-487-8339